Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

About Me

Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Previous Entries (all the way back to 2006!)

16 June 2009

8 weeks!

Owen is now 8 1/2 weeks old! On Friday he will be two calendar months old.

He's been holding his head up since he was about 4 weeks, but he's now strong enough to use his neck and he looks less like one of The Three Stooges and more like a baby. He really loves using his legs, and already enjoys standing on someone's lap. He also likes to bend his legs and "bounce" in the air. When he bends his knees while standing, he expects you to lift him up in the air. Yesterday during tummy time, he started pulling himself up with his elbows!

I was also able to take his little mittens off last week! He's not scratching his face anymore when he cries, so he's even more human now that we can see this little fingers.

He loves to coo! He says "ahhh" and "gaaaaaaa" all of the time. He even tries to get someone's attention by saying gaaa. He's definitely learning to communicate in a manner that doesn't involve screaming. A nice departure. When I sit him in his bouncer seat, he will talk to the little toys hanging in front of him. He has started to reach for them, too!

The best thing is that he is smiling all of the time! He really smiled for the first time on Saturday the 6th. Just a day shy of 7 weeks. But during the last week, he's been combining the cooing and smiling. There's even little laughs.

Owen is developing a sleep pattern. He wakes up every morning around 7:30 and takes a good nap from around 10-12:30. He's stays awake the rest of the day taking 20 minute cat naps here and there until around 8pm, and then he sleeps until 7:30am, waking 2-3 times to eat. He's still eating 8 times a day.

I bought an Ergo baby carrier at the end of May, and Owen has grown quite attached to it. It's very easy to put on and take off. When I take a walk, I push Evie and wear him. I wear him when I go anywhere--even out to lunch. He's 12 pounds now, but since I have been wearing him since he was 7 pounds, the increase isn't a big deal. I hope it helps me lose weight, too! The carrier applies most of his weight on my hips so there's never any back pain. There are times when he's fussy and only the Ergo will calm him down. I wish I had had this carrier with Evie; it's worth every penny.

Evie is being very sweet to Owen, and is learning how to touch him. I have even resorted to telling her to pet him because she remembers that idea from Otto. So far we haven't seen any signs of jealousy. She's too busy being a whirligig.

It is unfortunate that it's pool time now. The pediatrician told me not to take him into a chlorinated pool or put sunscreen on him until he is 6 months old. I want to take Evie to the pool, but will need someone to stay home with Owen. There is a great indoor pool close by, but I just read an old study that exposing children to indoor, chlorinated pools makes them more susceptible to developing asthma! Great! I know that it's a result of continuous exposure, but still.... I think I have to buy a little kiddie pool. At least get a water table....


2 comments:

  1. ok thats it. when am i coming over to see the cuteness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable pictures! The girls loved the cheap hard plastic baby pool, and it's much easier than the blow-up kind. They are a little slippery though, so we had a "no standing" rule. Owen is sooo cute, great pictures:)

    ReplyDelete