The storm early Monday morning was the scariest I have ever experienced. Some of the thunder very nearly sounded like a sonic boom. The lightening was like a strobe light. We lost power at some point. Jesse and I got very little sleep and cringed every time we saw lightening--waiting for the loud claps of thunder. BUT neither of our children woke up. AT ALL. Insane.
My family is fine, but that's more than I can say for a lot of people. Part of our property backs up to the Yellow River, and on a normal day, you can't even see if from our house because of the trees. After the storm, the water actually came all the way to our property! We could hear the water from our house. It felt like we were camping along a river. Our next door neighbors yard slopes into ours, and he had what looked like two creeks pouring into our yard. One of my neighbor's house was underwater for much of Monday and Tuesday. I can't even imagine. The Yellow River reached a record of 25.50 feet in Lithonia, very close to where we live. Based on the radars, it looks like we got between 10 and 12 inches. The bridge crossing over the Yellow River (that we use every day) is now closed and who knows when it will open.
I hope everyone is safe and dry!
Even Six Flags was under water!
The Yellow River (Road Closure)--Normally a huge dip down to the bridge

At the end of our neighborhood
The water topped about two inches from the top of the mailbox
From our house (not really that big of a deal unless you've seen it pre-flooding)
Is that house underwater in your neighborhood?
ReplyDelete