Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

About Me

Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Previous Entries (all the way back to 2006!)

06 September 2008

Miss Weaner

Speaking of another "yet"--which thankfully isn't asked all that much: Is she weaned yet?

Yes! Evie is weaned! I am so bad at updating this blog, that it's actually been a couple weeks since the event. I said I wanted to nurse through 12 months (which is 13 months, really) and after 13 months and one week, I cut the cord. She handled it very well. For about a week, I would offer her a cup of milk after she breastfed, and then started to cut the breastfeeding time down a minute a night, until I just offered the cup of milk. She handled it pretty well, and to be honest, weaning was extremely easy. Everything I read said that weaning is difficult if a child enjoys nursing for comfort, but that certainly wasn't the case with us. Evie was notorious for comfort nursing. Of course, I have stopped reading advice for sleeping, weaning, etc., and am just doing what makes sense to me.

I was worried because I used to let her fall asleep nursing, but now she just cuddles with me in the rocking chair like she does before a nap. I think teaching her to fall asleep that way for naps helped. Some may say that rocking her to sleep is a crutch, but it sure beats plopping her in the crib and saying, "See ya later!"

Evie is walking more and more, but only when she has a goal and definitely not across the room. She's slowly gaining confidence. I think she will start walking more when she realizes it's easier than crawling to get where she needs to go.

We just both got over long and nasty colds. Evie's feeling great, and I'm still not feeling well, but that's life. There's my reasoning for not posting more often.




Evie walks with Daddy to get the mail every day after work.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, so bittersweet. She is getting so big. So when are you going to show us your new house?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. flip flop socks? yes! flip flop socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who's miss weaner?
    ...ohhh, miss weaner! hee hee

    ReplyDelete