Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

Married with a daughter, a son, and a dog.

About Me

Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Previous Entries (all the way back to 2006!)

17 February 2009

30 weeks and permissions

I reached the milestone of 30 weeks last week. In fact, I am 31 weeks tomorrow. I cannot believe only 9 more weeks to go. I spoke with my doctor at my last appointment, and she said only 5% deliver on their actual due date. It's generally in the time of one week before to one week after. So he could either be an Aries or a Taurus. So either an entrepreneur or an artist--according to the descriptions I've read. I seem to give birth to cusp babies; Evie was three days away from being a Leo. He'll also be born in the year of the Ox which makes him prefer stability and logic. I've never really been into astrology, but it's fun to imagine and see if the personality descriptions end up being right.

J and I have been talking about privacy issues regarding my blog and Flickr. I am finding that the older Evie gets, the more creeps want to talk to her. The other day I was in the check-out line at the grocery store, and this really creepy man started talking to her behind me. He put a bear-shaped bottle of honey next to his face, and asked Evie is it was a kitty. Then he started caressing the bottle, saying "Niiiice kitty." Then he just sort of stared at her with this very disturbing expression. Evie was weirded out. I mean, what do I do in that type of situation??? I worry about saying something to the man in case it sets him off. I was putting stuff on the conveyor belt so I hurried as fast as I could. Normally when people start talking to her in line, I simply put myself between them. When Evie was a baby, people would just smile at her, but now that she's older, they get right in her face and start talking to her. Part of a parent's responsibility is to teach their children to not speak to strangers, but that's difficult when every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks my child is there for their entertainment. I know that most people don't mean any harm, but it's a double standard. People won't even look you in the eye (and can even be rude), but they will coo and giggle to your child within an inch of their face.

I know I can't avoid these types of situations, but I wish people would understand. Perhaps not all parents feel the same way I do, and they love the attention their child gets. I guess you could say it's the creepoids out there that ruin it for the rest of those well-intentioned toddler lovers.

So back to the topic at hand. We have decided to make the blog private. In a week. Especially since we will have two children to protect. I am going to try and invite as many of the people that I think read the blog (and I don't know who actually reads it), but if I don't invite you, please know the omission is unintentional. I appreciate ALL of you that read my blog and are interested in what is going on in my family's lives. It's really fun to share what's going on. And I love my little blogging Mommy community. Please email me (or post a comment if you think I don't have your email address) if you want access.

On a brighter note, here are some pictures.

The first picture looks uncannily like me as a child. I saw a picture of my father as a young child last night, and Evie and my dad could have been siblings! She had a cold when I took these, so ignore the runny nose.



3 comments:

  1. Please count me in as a reader:) I need to give you a yo-gabbagabba microphone that Chloe got for Christmas. Jon found it on-line and got it because it's green, but she never plays with it:( We are moving back to GA soon, but we won't be fully moved back in until the summer. But, we will be traveling back and forth a lot more now, taking small trunk fulls of stuff here and there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, j&j, i read your blog and would love to continue to do so. glad everything is going so well for you.

    -holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that story gave me the shimmies. So creepy!

    ReplyDelete